Publication 583 - Business Expenses
You can deduct business expenses on your income tax return. These are the current operating costs of running
your business. To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense
is one that is common and accepted in your field of business, trade, or profession. A necessary expense is one
that is helpful and appropriate for your business, trade, or profession. An expense does not have to be
indispensable to be considered necessary.

The following are brief explanations of some expenses that are of interest to people starting a business. There are
many other expenses that you may be able to deduct. See your form instructions and Publication 535, Business

Business Start-Up Costs

Business start-up costs are the expenses you incur before you actually begin business operations. Your business
start-up costs will depend on the type of business you are starting. They may include costs for advertising, travel,
surveys, and training. These costs are generally capital expenses.

You usually recover costs for a particular asset (such as machinery or office equipment) through depreciation
(discussed next). You can elect to deduct up to $5,000 of business start-up costs and $5,000 of organizational
costs paid or incurred after October 22, 2004. The $5,000 deduction is reduced by the amount your total start-up
or organizational costs exceed $50,000. Any remaining cost must be amortized.


If property you acquire to use in your business has a useful life that extends substantially beyond the year it is
placed in service, you generally cannot deduct the entire cost as a business expense in the year you acquire it.
You must spread the cost over more than one tax year and deduct part of it each year. This method of deducting
the cost of business property is called depreciation.

Business property you must depreciate includes the following items.

- Office furniture.
- Buildings.
- Machinery and equipment.

You can choose to deduct a limited amount of the cost of certain depreciable property in the year you place the
property in service. This deduction is known as the “section 179 deduction.” You can take a special depreciation
allowance for certain property you acquire and place in service before January 1, 2005. For more information
about depreciation, the section 179 deduction, and the special depreciation allowance, see Publication 946, How
To Depreciate Property.

Depreciation must be taken in the year it is allowable. Allowable depreciation not taken in a prior year cannot be
taken in the current year. If you do not deduct the correct depreciation, you may be able to make a correction by
filing Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, or by changing your accounting method. For more
information on how to correct depreciation deductions, see chapter 1 in Publication 946.
Business Use of Your Home

To deduct expenses related to the business use of part of your home, you must meet specific requirements. Even
then, your deduction may be limited.

To qualify to claim expenses for business use of your home, you must meet both the following tests.

1.  Your use of the business part of your home must be:
1. Exclusive (however, see Exceptions to exclusive use, later),
2. Regular,
3. For your trade or business, AND
2. The business part of your home must be one of the following:
1. Your principal place of business (defined later),
2. A place where you meet or deal with patients, clients, or customers in the normal course of your trade or
business, or
3. A separate structure (not attached to your home) you use in connection with your trade or business.

Exclusive use.   To qualify under the exclusive use test, you must use a specific area of your home only for your
trade or business. The area used for business can be a room or other separately identifiable space. The space
does not need to be marked off by a permanent partition.

You do not meet the requirements of the exclusive use test if you use the area in question both for business and
for personal purposes.

Exceptions to exclusive use.   You do not have to meet the exclusive use test if either of the following applies.

1. You use part of your home for the storage of inventory or product samples.
2. You use part of your home as a daycare facility.

For an explanation of these exceptions, see Publication 587, Business Use of Your Home (Including Use by
Daycare Providers).

Principal place of business.   Your home office will qualify as your principal place of business for deducting
expenses for its use if you meet the following requirements.

- You use it exclusively and regularly for administrative or management activities of your trade or business.
- You have no other fixed location where you conduct substantial administrative or management activities of your
trade or business.

Alternatively, if you use your home exclusively and regularly for your business, but your home office does not
qualify as your principal place of business based on the previous rules, you determine your principal place of
business based on the following factors.

- The relative importance of the activities performed at each location.
- If the relative importance factor does not determine your principal place of business, the time spent at each

If, after considering your business locations, your home cannot be identified as your principal place of business,
you cannot deduct home office expenses. However, for other ways to qualify to deduct home office expenses, see
Publication 587.

Which form do I file?   If you file Schedule C (Form 1040), use Form 8829, Expenses for Business Use of Your
Home, to figure your deduction. If you file Schedule F (Form 1040) or you are a partner, you can use the
worksheet in Publication 587.

Car and Truck Expenses

If you use your car or truck in your business, you can deduct the costs of operating and maintaining it. You
generally can deduct either your actual expenses or the standard mileage rate.

Actual expenses.   If you deduct actual expenses, you can deduct the cost of the following items:

Depreciation         Lease payments         Registration
Garage rent          Licenses                     Repairs
Gas                      Oil                                Tires
Insurance             Parking fees                Tolls

If you use your vehicle for both business and personal purposes, you must divide your expenses between business
and personal use. You can divide your expenses based on the miles driven for each purpose.


You are the sole proprietor of a flower shop. You drove your van 20,000 miles during the year. 16,000 miles were
for delivering flowers to customers and 4,000 miles were for personal use. You can claim only 80% (16,000 ÷
20,000) of the cost of operating your van as a business expense.

Standard mileage rate.   Instead of figuring actual expenses, you may be able to use the standard mileage rate
to figure the deductible costs of operating your car, van, pickup, or panel truck for business purposes. You can
use the standard mileage rate for a vehicle you own or lease. The standard mileage rate is a specified amount of
money you can deduct for each business mile you drive. It is announced annually by the IRS. To figure your
deduction, multiply your business miles by the standard mileage rate for the year.


Generally, if you use the standard mileage rate, you cannot deduct your actual expenses. However, you may be
able to deduct business-related parking fees, tolls, interest on your car loan, and certain state and local taxes.

Choosing the standard mileage rate.   If you want to use the standard mileage rate for a car you own, you must
choose to use it in the first year the car is available for use in your business. In later years, you can choose to use
either the standard mileage rate or actual expenses.

If you use the standard mileage rate for a car you lease, you must choose to use it for the entire lease period
(including renewals).

Additional information.   For more information about the rules for claiming car and truck expenses, see
Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses.

Back to The IRS Advises Direct Sellers page

Back to Publication 583 Main Contents
Brought to you by MLMLegal is a valuable resource to the MLM and Direct Sales industry. Use
thissite to explore the different compensation plans, browse articles written by Jeffrey
Babener, view the latest posts from attorney Babener's blog, and more. To find more
information about the direct selling industry, visit the best MLM resource on the web:
© Jeffrey Babener, 2013
The Sister Website to