Publication 583 - Information Returns
If you make or receive payments in your business, you may have to report them to the IRS on information returns.
The IRS compares the payments shown on the information returns with each person's income tax return to see if
the payments were included in income. You must give a copy of each information return you are required to file to
the recipient or payer. In addition to the forms described below, you may have to use other returns to report certain
kinds of payments or transactions. For more details on information returns and when you have to file them, see the
General Instructions for Forms 1099, 1098, 5498, and W-2G.

Form 1099-MISC.   Use Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, to report certain payments you make in your
trade or business. These payments include the following items.

- Payments of $600 or more for services performed for your business by people not treated as your employees,
such as subcontractors, attorneys, accountants, or directors.
- Rent payments of $600 or more, other than rents paid to real estate agents.
- Prizes and awards of $600 or more that are not for services, such as winnings on TV or radio shows.
- Royalty payments of $10 or more.
- Payments to certain crew members by operators of fishing boats.

You also use Form 1099-MISC to report your sales of $5,000 or more of consumer goods to a person for resale
anywhere other than in a permanent retail establishment.

Form W-2.   You must file Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, to report payments to your employees, such as
wages, tips, and other compensation, withheld income, social security, and Medicare taxes, and advance earned
income credit payments. For more information on what to report on Form W-2, see the Instructions for Forms W-2
and W-3.

Form 8300.   You must file Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business,
if you receive more than $10,000 in cash in one transaction or two or more related business transactions. Cash
includes U.S. and foreign coin and currency. It also includes certain monetary instruments such as cashier's and
traveler's checks and money orders. For more information, see Publication 1544, Reporting Cash Payments of
Over $10,000 (Received in a Trade or Business).

Back to The IRS Advises Direct Sellers page

Back to Publication 583 Main Contents
Brought to you by MLMLegal is a valuable resource to the MLM and Direct Sales industry. Use
thissite to explore the different compensation plans, browse articles written by Jeffrey
Babener, view the latest posts from attorney Babener's blog, and more. To find more
information about the direct selling industry, visit the best MLM resource on the web:
© Jeffrey Babener, 2013
The Sister Website to