Publication 583 - Self Employment Tax
Self-employment tax (SE tax) is a social security and Medicare tax primarily for individuals who work for themselves.
Your payments of SE tax contribute to your coverage under the social security system. Social security coverage
provides you with retirement benefits, disability benefits, survivor benefits, and hospital insurance (Medicare)

You must pay SE tax and file Schedule SE (Form 1040) if either of the following applies.

1. Your net earnings from self-employment were $400 or more.
2. You had church employee income of $108.28 or more.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) time limit for posting self-employment income.   Generally, the
SSA will give you credit only for self-employment income reported on a tax return filed within 3 years, 3 months,
and 15 days after the tax year you earned the income. If you file your tax return or report a change in your
self-employment income after this time limit, the SSA may change its records, but only to remove or reduce the
amount. The SSA will not change its records to increase your self-employment income.

Back to The IRS Advises Direct Sellers page

Back to Publication 583 Main Contents
Brought to you by MLMLegal is a valuable resource to the MLM and Direct Sales industry. Use
thissite to explore the different compensation plans, browse articles written by Jeffrey
Babener, view the latest posts from attorney Babener's blog, and more. To find more
information about the direct selling industry, visit the best MLM resource on the web:
© Jeffrey Babener, 2013
The Sister Website to